Hotel Gardenia al Lago is a charming small -family-owned and operated- hotel right in the small village of Gargnano on the “Lemon Riviera” side of Lake Garda. Be delighted by the classic 1920’s flair of this villa, once the holiday home of the current owners.
Jasmine-cented gardens full of olive, lemon and palm trees gives direct access to the lake, said to be one of the cleanest in Italy. You can swim right off the ladder or enjoy the beach chairs, sun beds and beach umbrellas from the “Lido dei Limoni” Beach & Bar, only 200 meters far from the hotel. It is also possible to rent paddle boats, kayaks and bicycles. The hotel’s lemon greenhouse has been restored and offers a guided walk to know about the area’s citrus growing.
Wheater permitting, breakfast, lunch and dinner is served under the trees in the garden overlooking the beautiful lake and impressive Monte Baldo on the other side. Otherwise there is the dining room with its panoramic look-out point. The hotel produces its own extra vergin olive oil, lemon liqueur and bitter orange and lemon marmalades. In the historic cellar, wine tastings with wines from the Lake Garda area and various italian region are organized.
There is a bar, a reading room and a salon, where you will find an early 1900’s piano built by the family and still in use today.
Peace and quiet characterize the airconditioned rooms at Gardenia al Lago, witch come with distinctive Belle Epoque furniture, exquisite floor tiles, French windows and Edwardian bathrooms. Most have balconies and terraces overlooking the blue of the lake or the green of the gardens. Facilities include a TV, a safe and a hairdryer. The recently updated standard rooms (without balcony and lake view) have new bathrooms and come at an attractive rate.
Your hosts: Giorgio, Valerio & Andrea Arosio
✅ free Wi-Fi • size matters: 25 rooms (14-26m2) (151-280 sq ft) ✅ free public parking nearby • tour desk • wedding arrangements • beach towels provided • wellness room for beauty treatments and massages • pets allowed on request
The DNA: The “Fisco” is the old 19th-century name for the estate that now is the Hotel Gardenia al Lago, a lemon and olive grove that sloped gently down to the lake. The Arosio family, the current proprietors, bought the estate in 1925 as a holiday retreat from their piano factory business in Lodi, Lombardy. In 1929 the villa was enhanced by the architect Gherardi, and embellished with friezes and decorations by the Beretta brothers, which can still be admired today. In 1950, Arnaldo, son of the owner, converted the house into a guesthouse, and its name, “Gardenia”, was chosen by his wife Amelia. And so the Gardenia welcomed the first tourists, and soon became a destination for families from France and Germany, but especially from England – people eager to retrace the steps and relive the sensations described by D.H. Lawrence in “Twilight in Italy”, staying just a stone’s throw from Villa Igea, where the English writer resided. In 1965 Arnaldo and Amelia further improve services and extended it with the old look-out point becoming the current dining room. By 2000, Valeriano, son of Arnaldo and his wife Constantina handed over the reigns to their sons Valerio, Giorgio and Andrea, who, having grown up in the family hotels, have gradually absorbed their spirit and tradition, and their passion has become their work. By 2002 the time was ripe for a radical renovation and adaptation; the en-suite bathrooms were completely redone, the rooms sound-proofed and fitted with independently-controlled air conditioning and broadband connections, fire-safety standards were met, and furniture, fabrics and other items installed to resemble the original house built by great grandfather Emilio back in 1925. Today the Gardenia is a wonderful up-to-date hotel, yet with an aura of old world charm.